Principal's Update - Friday 23 September
Published on 23/09/22
Dear Parents and Carers,
Our 4 day week has absolutely flown by! School has been busy, with auditions, outdoor education and lots of clubs starting up.
It has been lovely to once again welcome our Danish visitors into school this week. This is a long-standing partnership between HVC and Frederikssund Private Realskole, which has been in place since 2007! Y10 students have buddied up with the Danish students during the school day and over 30 of our Y9 and Y10 students travelled to Chapel School for a sporting fixture against Chapel and Denmark. It’s wonderful that experiences like this are once again opening up to our school community. Next week, we look forward to hosting a further 10 students, whilst also celebrating the European Day of Languages on Monday.
What's going on in school?
- Our Dungeons and Dragons club will be starting next week. This will be held in the library on Wednesdays from 3.30 – 4.30pm. All students are welcome, from complete beginners upwards.
- Congratulations for everyone who auditioned for School of Rock. Miss Starbuck and Mrs Machan were blown away with the confidence and talent. Everyone who auditioned should be very proud of themselves. We will be hosting some catch up auditions for people who couldn't make it this week. Please ask your young person to see Miss Starbuck or Mrs Machan to find out more.
- Our increased Y9 technology curriculum will begin next week. Students in Y9 will get to try catering, design and technology, engineering, textiles and sustainable design. Groups will move around these elements on a rotation basis, allowing them to sample a wide and varied technology curriculum, ahead of choosing their options for GCSE. Please check your Y9 timetable on TEAMS for the rotation groups.
- Our Outdoor Education programme got under way this week, with Y10 students enjoying an outdoor breakfast, which included bacon butties and cinnamon fried toast, whilst Y9 students visited the Longshaw Estate to try out their orienteering skills.
- HVC students from Y9 and 10 travelled across the hills to their first international fixture for a number of years. Teams from Buxton, Chapel and Denmark came together to play football, netball and handball, followed by the highly anticipated tug of war. Hope Valley did exceptionally well, winning all their football matches and most of their netball matches - it was more of a friendly fixture vibe with almost 200 students engaged in sport. A fantastic night and we would like to thank our hosts, Chapel for their hospitality and the refreshments.
- Well done to all those involved in the football fixtures against New Mills School. Teams from all years played, with our Key Stage 4 team winning 4 – 1.
- Well done to Y11 on the Duke of Edinburgh expedition – I visited ‘base camp’ on Saturday evening. Everyone was busy putting up their tents, cooking their food and recovering from the long walk. I was so proud of them all and could see the real sense of achievement.
- Our KS4 information evening was very well attended yesterday, it was great to see you all face to face again. The presentations from staff will be shared on the website very soon, if you have any questions or queries please contact Mr Beeden.
Non uniform day – Monday 26 September
Monday 26 September is the European Day of Languages. To celebrate in school, there will be a special menu in the dining room with offerings from Spain, Germany and France on the menu. We also ask that students and staff come to school in a colourful outfit to represent a country/nationality/language other than England. An example could be wearing blue, red and white to represent France, or maybe you support a sports team from another country eg. Real Madrid. There is a suggested voluntary contribution of £1 towards Ukrainian charities. Monies can be given to tutors.
Y7 Information Evening
We will be holding an Information evening for parents and carers of Year 7 students on Thursday 29 September, 4.30 - 6.30pm. Further details will be sent out on Monday.
We have supplies of sanitary products available both at reception and in pastoral for any young people who might be struggling to afford to buy these items.
Our technology department would be grateful for any donations of interesting small or mid-size recycling items that could be used for sustainable design projects. Any donations can be given to either reception or Miss Nicklin. Thank you in advance.
Cloud School Parent App
You can now use the Cloud School Parent App to view your child’s basic details, their timetable and stored documents. Should you wish to view attendance reports or ATL/data sheets they will be uploaded to this App. A link has been sent from Progresso@hopevalley.chorustrust.org for you to set up your login details so that you can access to the App.
Initial logon information:
- Copy the address given and paste it into the search bar of your laptop/PC/ipad (Not your mobile phone)
- You will see you have been assigned a username
- On this page you will be asked to choose a password
To view your child’s data via your mobile phone:
- Download the Cloud School Parent App from App Store.
- Log in with the same username and password.
Names in uniform
We would be grateful if you could check that your young person has the correct hoodies in case they have accidentally taken home the wrong item. Please make sure that all uniform is clearly labelled with the student’s name. Thank you
Our wonderful PTFA are always looking for new members to join them, as well as volunteers to help at events. If you would like to find out more or volunteer, please email them at PTFAhv@hopevalley.chorustrust.org
Work has started on putting together the PTFA calendar for 2023 and we need your help!
- Are you a business who would like to advertise in the calendar?
- Is your young person a budding artist who would like to see their work feature in the calendar?
Anyone interested in either advertising or contributing artwork to the calendar should email PTFAhv@hopevalley.chorustrust.org. Artwork needs to be sent as a jpg attachment and should be landscape format.
Calendars will be available to order through the PTFA in November (£6 per copy) and will be delivered to school during the penultimate week of term in December – perfect for Christmas presents! Information for ordering will be sent nearer the time.
Thank you for reading our communication. Here are some helpful email addresses, should you need to contact us:
- firstname.lastname@example.org to report a child’s absence
- email@example.com for general enquiries
- firstname.lastname@example.org for any issue with a child’s wellbeing
- email@example.com to contact the Principal
- firstname.lastname@example.org to report safeguarding concerns. If a child or any young person is in imminent danger, then please report this to the police.
Mrs G Jones