Principal's update 30 September 2022
Published on 30/09/22
Dear Parents and Carers,
Thank you to parents and carers of our Y7 students who joined us on Thursday at our Information Evening. It was great to see so many of you in school and fantastic to have the opportunity to share some of our students’ work with you.
We are very much looking forward to our Open Evening for current Y5 & Y6 students, which will be held on Thursday 6th October from 5.30pm – 7.30pm. Please share the link to our website with anyone you think may wish to come and have a look around school: Open Evening
What’s going on in school?
- Charlotte in Y9 attended the Junior Inter-Regional Orienteering Championships in North Ireland last weekend, representing Yorkshire & Humberside. Charlotte raced mainly against 16 year olds and ran brilliantly to finish 16th from 32. Yorkshire &Humberside finished 2nd overall and won the girls competition! Amazing!
- Our Y8 and KS4 teams travelled to St Philip Howard Academy in Glossop for football fixtures on Tuesday. A superb performance from the KS4 team saw them beat SPH 2-1 and it could have been more. Man of the match was Stan Y11 for an outstanding defensive performance. The Y8s battled well and were unfortunate to lose 9-1, not a true reflection of the game.
- The technology department are excited to be working with Sheffield University Architecture team over the next 6 weeks on creating some design ideas for school. Any students that are interested in architecture should come and let Miss Nicklin know, as she will hopefully be organising some time for our students to meet with some of the masters level architecture students.
- This week our Outdoor Ed students have completed an orienteering session at school and had a go at weaselling at Higger Tor.
- Thank you to all students who applied to become Sports Leaders. We had over 65 applications, from which 28 successful students were selected.
As you will be aware, we are making attendance a high priority for our young people this year. We will be sharing the first 4 weeks of attendance with students and this will be uploaded to Cloud School and we will be writing with further information regarding attendance next week.
Illness during the school day
If your young person needs to go home due to illness during the school day, then our reception team will contact you to ask you to collect them. Students should not call parents and carers themselves before coming to reception.
Cloud School Parent App
You can now use the Cloud School Parent App to view your child’s basic details, their timetable and stored documents. Should you wish to view attendance reports or ATL/data sheets they will be uploaded to this app. A link has been sent from Progresso@hopevalley.chorustrust.org for you to set up your login details so that you can access to the app.
Initial logon information:
1. Copy the address given and paste it into the search bar of your laptop/PC/ipad (Not your mobile phone)
2. You will see you have been assigned a username
3. On this page you will be asked to choose a password
To view your child’s data via your mobile phone:
Download the Cloud School Parent App from App Store.
Log in with the same username and password.
The next PTFA meeting will be on Tuesday 4th October at 8pm. All parents and carers are welcome to join us either in person or virtually to find out more about plans for this year. Please email PTFAhv@hopevalley.chorustrust.org to find out more.
Work has started on putting together the PTFA calendar for 2023 and we need your help!
Anyone interested in either advertising or contributing artwork to the calendar should email PTFAhv@hopevalley.chorustrust.org. Artwork needs to be sent as a jpg attachment and should be landscape format.
Calendars will be available to order through the PTFA in November (£6 per copy) and will be delivered to school during the penultimate week of term in December – perfect for Christmas presents! Information for ordering will be sent nearer the time.
Thank you for reading our communication. Here are some helpful email addresses, should you need to contact us:
Mrs G Jones
Hope Valley College