Principal's update 5 May 2023
Published on 05/05/23
Dear Parents and Carers
Red, white and blue was the theme for today’s non-uniform day, celebrating the coronation of King Charles III. A special menu was created by our kitchen team, featuring Coronation quiche and salad, Coronation chicken sandwiches and fish, chips and peas. A reminder that school is closed on Monday 8 May due to the bank holiday.
What’s going on in school:
- This week in drama, 7H were tasked with a design challenge for the play ‘DNA’ by Dennis Kelly during the strike day. Eleanor's costume design and Lawrence's set design stand out for the detailed thought and creation they have put into this task. Miss Starbuck was very impressed with the quality and accuracy of the designs, and she is very proud of all of the students who undertook this challenge. Well done to our two winners!
- 13 of our Y8 students are taking on a sponsored 20 mile walk this weekend - the Outside Hope Valley Round. They are fundraising for Edale Mountain Rescue. So far, they have raised over £1200!
- We're having another Book Fair! Our Spring Fair from Scholastic arrives on Tuesday 9th May and will be open in the library for the sale of brand-new books, stationery and other goodies every lunchtime up to 16 May. Cash payments would be preferred but details of how to pay electronically will be available at the Fair. All purchases earn us free books for school so this is a brilliant - and fun -way of supporting HVC's library.
- HVC recently hosted the High Peak Netball Tournament for Years 9,10 and 11, with 17 teams from schools in the local area involved. HVC enjoyed great success – teams in Y9 & Y10 won all of their matches and won the tournament, whilst Y11 narrowly missed out on goal difference. Well done to all involved. The following week, our Y8 netball teams travelled to Chapel for their turn in the same tournament. Both teams did really well, with the A Team finishing in 2nd place.
- Athletics club will start next Wednesday lunchtime and is open to all students from 12.40 – 1.30pm. Come along to practice or to have a go at any of the athletics events - 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, javelin, discus, shot, triple, long and high jump – there will be a different event each lunch time. Just turn up either before or after having lunch.
- Netball training after school has now finished for the season. Instead, rounders training will run every Wednesday after school – all welcome!
- We are looking forward to cricket fixtures coming up this term:
- Home Y8 vs Westborne Wednesday 7 June 14.00-16.30
- Home Y10 vs Westborne Tuesday 27 June 14.00-16.30
- Our French Pen Pal club meets once a month. They are exchanging letters with students in a small town in the south of France and students in a high school in Gabon, West Africa.
Y7 Subject Evening - Tuesday 16 May, 4.30 - 7.00 pm
Parents and children in Y7 are invited to this subject evening taking place in school. To book appointments please go to the link below. Please note: Should a subject be full at your time of booking, please add you name to the waiting list, you will then be contacted after the event with an update. SchoolCloud - Hope Valley College
Y8 Subject Evening - Tuesday 23 May, 4.30 - 7.00 pm
Parents and children in Y8 are invited to this subject evening taking place in school. To book appointments please go to the link below. Please note: Should a subject be full at your time of booking, please add you name to the waiting list, you will then be contacted after the event with an update. SchoolCloud - Hope Valley College
The deadline for signing up for Y7 and Y9 residential visits during activities week is Thursday 11 May. Please contact us if you need any support with this.
Y11 Exam Timetables
Exam timetables and further exam information will be given to Y11 students next week. Please check this information carefully and contact us if there are any issues.
We would very much like to celebrate the achievements and successes of our Y11 students in our next newsletter, as we approach the end of their time at HVC. We would be grateful if you could share any achievements outside of school with us (assuming you are happy for it to be included in the newsletter). Please email any contributions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 11 May. Thank you.
Music and Mayhem - Saturday 24 June 2023
We are looking forward to this fantastic event, organised by our PTFA. There will be many musical ensembles and solo performances throughout the day as well as games and refreshments outside. If your young person would like to perform at this event, please keep the date free and ask them to speak to Mrs Machan to confirm their spot. More details to follow.
Guys and Dolls - Verve Academy of Performing Arts
Mrs Machan and Miss Astbury will be performing in a fundraising production of Guys and Dolls at Silverdale School on Sunday 21 May at 4:30pm. Tickets are priced £10 adults and £5 children. All proceeds will go to Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice. If you would like to purchase tickets, please email Mrs Machan or Miss Astbury by Thursday 18 May and let us know how many tickets you would like.
Thank you for reading our communication. Here are some helpful email addresses, should you need to contact us:
Gaynor Jones, Principal
Hope Valley College
T: 01433 620555